3/20/09

Travel health insurance and Mexico.

The teenaged kid on the ATV came hurtling over the dune, seemingly out of nowhere and definitely out of control. Staring at him in disbelief, I immediately recognized four problems with this scene:

  1. My comrades and I, who were just wrapping up a multi-day desert trek, were directly below him.

  2. The kid wasn't wearing a helmet.

  3. The kid had a passenger, a terrified young girl who also wasn't wearing a helmet.

  4. The nearest decent hospital was hours away and across the border in the United States.

Fortunately, this future Darwin-Award recipient managed to avoid us and keep his quad upright and his girlfriend momentarily safe.

But it got me thinking about what a person would do in a medical emergency in a place like Puerto Penasco or any other Mexican destination that didn't have a major medical facility. Could you find a way to be evacuated? How much would that cost?

A year later I purchased, for the first time, travel medical insurance while preparing for a mountaineering trip to southern Mexico. Although I have a good health insurance plan in the states, I found out that it only reimburses you for emergency medical evacuation in foreign countries. Nothing else -- physician fees, hospital charges -- is covered.

Now, evacuation can cost several thousand if not tens of thousands of dollars. And I would need to pay that first, then go through all the claim reimbursement crap with my health insurer. A good travel health insurance plan gets you in contact with a medical provider and negotiates and pays for necessary evacuation. All you (or your conscious companion) need to do is call a toll-free number.

I bought this first policy mainly because I thought I was putting myself in situations a little riskier than normal: cross-country trekking and high-altitude climbing. Since then, I've realized that the real risks -- especially in developing countries -- are taken while you're doing everyday touristy stuff: Crossing a street to that cute café or dodging exposed rebar on torn-up sidewalks.

So I just took out another policy for our upcoming trip to Panama. It's only costing us a few bucks a day and it does give me some peace of mind. But between you and me, I don't want to find out how well it works.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are constantly negotiating better terms with our insurer partners to bring you cheap short term or temporary Quad.
cheap quad insurance

Luxury Traveler said...

Thanks for sharing this experience. Making sure that I won't have any problem in Travel health insurance when I spend my luxury holidays in mexico.